Friday, August 19, 2011

Metadata Seminar at ASIST

I'm going to be giving a half-day seminar on October 12 in New Orleans in association with ASIST. This is something I have been wanting to do for a while. I feel like I've spent the past two years presenting Semantic Web 101 in 45-minute segments, and I really want to start moving on to 102, 103, etc. I'm hoping this seminar will fill that gap.

The topics I will cover at that seminar are:
  • Understanding data, data types, and data uses
  • Identifiers, URIs and http URIs
  • Statements and triples and their role in the 'web of data'
  • Defining properties and vocabularies that can be used effectively on the web
  • Brief introduction to semantic web standards
There will be hands-on exercises throughout the morning that give attendees a chance to learn by doing. I'm hoping that the exercises will also be fun. If you're going to ASIST and have any questions about the seminar, please contact me.

3 comments:

Robert said...

Any idea if a recording with audio and video will be offered?

Karen Coyle said...

Robert, that would be ideal but I don't think that capability exists. However, I am designing the course to be modular in a way that it could be presented as a series of webinars in one-hour "chunks". I'm working on some of the technical aspects of that now.

Robert said...

Sounds great, Karen. The presentation sounds like a gem.