Can we (the collective we, not the royal we) create a simple way that some libraries can contribute their catalog use data to a common storehouse? In particular, can we create a way that libraries can create a profile and upload data easily?
Here's the kind of data I have in mind:
- What search types are available? Which of these search types is a default? How often is each search type used?
- If there is an advanced search page, how often is it used?
- If there are sort options, what is the default and how often are all of them used?
- What is the default display, and how often is each display option used?
- How many records are displayed on average?
- If there are facets, how often is each facet type selected?
- What system are you using? (Vendor, brand)
- What type of library is it? (public, academic, special)
And not everyone would have to participate, just those who are interested in the future of the catalog. No coercion, no requirements. I'd be happy to see the data from a couple of dozen catalogs. Could we do it? (I volunteer to write specs and documentation, which are in my skill set.)